blade route (mainly in Canadian English)

aj+fj

Czech, Czech Republic
Hello everyone,

1.) Is the expression BLADE ROUTE common in (esp. Canadian) English?
2.) Is it easily understandable (without context)?
3.) Would you rather go for another expression in a casual conversation?

Context:
Queen Elizabeth Park, a must for anyone who loves parks and gardens, has two roller rinks, and one is usually kept free for drop-ins. But the favourite blade route is around the seawall and along the waterfront from English Bay to Science World (about 15 kilometres, total).

Source:
VIA Rail Canada's free on-board magazine

Thank you.

• Myridon

English - US
    In American English, I've never heard of a path made specifically for roller-bladers. People on roller blades would use a jogging/bike/bicycle trail/path/route.

aj+fj

Czech, Czech Republic
    Hello Spira and Myridon,

Thank you for your reactions.
    I suppose it is a route for roller-bladers.
    I am just not sure about the general frequency/familiarity/understandability of the expression "blade route".

Google shows only 833 entries for "blade route" ... so, I was wondering how it is with the use of this word.

And, Myridon, you're right, it very much depends on the (non-)existence itself of paths made specifically for roller-bladers.

Last edited:

aj+fj

Czech, Czech Republic
    I have never seen the term before, I simply deduced its meaning.
    Were you wandering or wondering, or wondering while wandering? :)
    :"> mistake corrected :">

Thank you, Spira, for the friendly, creative and constructing remark:)!

Enjoy the evening!

jpyvr

English - Canadian
    I lived in Vancouver for many years, and know the route in question. When it is described as "blade route" it doesn't mean that it was built only for roller-blading, nor that it is not used at the same time by strollers, joggers, bicyclists etc. It only means that it is a route that is suitable for use by roller-bladers.

I can also confirm that the route IS very good for blading.

aj+fj

Czech, Czech Republic
    I lived in Vancouver for many years, and know the route in question. When it is described as "blade route" it doesn't mean that it was built only for roller-blading, nor that it is not used at the same time by strollers, joggers, bicyclists etc. It only means that it is a route that is suitable for use by roller-bladers.

I can also confirm that the route IS very good for blading.
    Thank you, jpyvre! Thanks a lot for your answer!
    (As you have well recognized, the extract speaks about Vancouver, it is from an article promoting this city :).)

< Previous | Next >