blank lawn

< Previous | Next >

JuriTerreni

Chinese-China
From Movie <Vlogumentary>,

Mike is reading his son's algebra homework.
You earn $15 for mowing blank lawns. How much do you earn mowing one lawn? That's all the information it gives you? I hate when I don't understand my sixth grader's homework!

What is a blank lawn, I mean, if it's blank, why do you need to mow? Thank you.

• Andygc

British English
    "Blank" is a blank space in the text that he is reading. "You earn $15 for mowing ____ lawns."

JuriTerreni

Chinese-China
    "Blank" is a blank space in the text that he is reading. "You earn $15 for mowing ____ lawns."
    I see, but then this problem is impossible to solve right? You have to know how many lawns you mow to earn 15, then you know how much you earn for mowing onw lawn.

Andygc

British English
    You are probably right, but where did anybody find an algebra problem that had a blank where there should be a variable? I'd expect the parent who doesn't understand algebra to read the problem as written "You earn $15 for mowing X lawns" rather than calling "X" "blank".

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Normally, in any test I've ever heard of, a blank (____) is a place you write the answer. We call these "fill in the blank" questions, which are different from "multiple choice" questions and "essay" questions.

So this fictional movie dialog is very abnormal. The script writer wanted to make a homework question that confused the parent. He didn't bother to make it a realistic question, that could actually occur in homework.

< Previous | Next >