Blanket bags ???

< Previous | Next >

m4tt

Hi!

I came across this sentence when reading some outdoor article.

[...] Blanket bags were produced for family camping, as well as inflatable mattresses.

I find it hard to guess what is meant by 'blanket bags'. The author didn't mean sleeping bags so maybe it's about foam mattresses? Any guesses?

Thank you!

• George French

English - UK
    Hi!

[...] Blanket bags were produced for family camping, as well as inflatable mattresses.

I find it hard to guess what is meant by 'blanket bags'. The author didn't mean sleeping bags so maybe it's about foam mattresses? Any guesses?

Thank you!
    Blanket bags are bags you store blankets in.

GF..

Try this page....

'blanket bags' https://www.google.com/search?q='bl...lmandbags.com%2Fpvcblanketbags.html;1933;1470

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    The first thing that comes to mind when I hear "blanket bag" is that it's a bag that contains a blanket.

You seem sure, m4, that sleeping bags were not meant. What makes you sure? You should have named your source and given more context. This isn't just "some outdoor article", it's historical information from the website of a camping equipment manufacturer, specifically from the sleeping bag section. Here it is:

http://bergans.eu/history
    Bergans have designed, and produced sleeping bags as far back as 1960. The original choice of materials was Elaston for the filling, and cotton for the outer fabric. Blanket bags were produced for family camping, as well as inflatable mattresses. As people wanted lighter and smaller bags so did the choice of materials change – down was the insulating material of choice and nylon the outer fabric.

I think it probably does mean sleeping bags, and that "blanket" refers either to the material, or to a design feature that the bags can be unzipped and unfolded, thereby becoming essentially an ordinary blanket.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Hi!

Thank you!
    Please don't ask members of this form to "guess" what is meant. That isn't much help to you or to the forum. We ask for the source of your sentence and some context: either a summary of what the article is about, or a quotation of up to four sentences--or both.

< Previous | Next >