blanket inside a case of the same material as the sheets

< Previous | Next >

susanna76

Romanian
Hi,

I want to describe a blanket wrapped (?) in a case which has the same materials as the sheets. I'm stumped for words.

"Underneath the bedcover the blanket was wrapped (?) in a cotton (?) case."

Thank you!

• Jason_2_toi

English-Scotland
    I have a blanket that is inside a duvet cover.
    I'm lying on it right now!

In fact I have two. One you zip shut, and the other has buttons.

susanna76

Romanian
    What surprises me is that this cover is defined by way of another bed covering. I was hoping the phrase could stand on its own.

Myridon

English - US
    In the US it could also be referred to as a comforter cover. The use of duvet has increased over here so both are used.
    In my experience, having a comforter or duvet (in the US sense) that was the same fabric as the sheets (or even exactly matched) would be unusual. We use comforters/duvets as the decorative outside layer so they usually have multiple colors in a pattern or print, while sheets and blankets are most often a solid color.
    I have only ever seen one such one blanket that did this and it was called a blanket by the manufacturer.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    In my experience, having a comforter or duvet (in the US sense) that was the same fabric as the sheets (or even exactly matched) would be unusual. We use comforters/duvets as the decorative outside layer so they usually have multiple colors in a pattern or print, while sheets and blankets are most often a solid color.
    I have only ever seen one such one blanket that did this and it was called a blanket by the manufacturer.
    We have both types of duvet/comforter cover: some are as thick as upholstery material and definitely need a sheet as well, while some are simply made of sheet material and don't actually need a sheet as well (although we use one). Perhaps the distinction is that comforters seem to have material designed to be seen (they don't need to be covered) while duvets do seem to need covering. Bedding is quite varied:D

susanna76

Romanian
    Thank you, JulianStuart and Myridon!
    Julian: What do you mean you "don't actually need a sheet as well"?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Thank you, JulianStuart and Myridon!
    Julian: What do you mean you "don't actually need a sheet as well"?
    If the fluffy thing (or blanket) is covered with sheet material, it can lie directly on top of the sleeper with no need for a top sheet (the bottom sheet covers the mattress under the sleeper). For a comforter cover that is not made of sheet material, there is a bottom sheet and a top sheet. On top of that is the comforter.

< Previous | Next >