blanket off

< Previous | Next >

Oltda

Czech
Hi, could you explain the meaning of this phrase to me? ----- So I laid it on the back seat of the car, buckled it in with one of the seatbelts and the blanket off the back window, ---does it mean that she put shade on the back window?

• Andygc

British English
    Oltda

First, the source - don't assume everyone has read your other question.
    Second, the context. What is happening? What is it? You can quote up to four sentences including the one you are asking about - it often helps to have the text immediately before the problem text.

Oltda

Czech
    I am sorry, I´m new around here. The context is that a woman puts a child on the back seat of the car, she fastens its seat belt and then drives off. As for the source it is quoted from the short story "the child" by Ali Smith (it is part of the collection of short stories First Person and Other Stories)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It is a question of how you read it:

So I laid it on the back seat of the car, buckled it in with [one of the seatbelts and the blanket off* the back window,] = She put the blanket (that had been on the shelf below the car's rear window) over it and then she fastened the seatbelt over it (and the blanket.)

*Here, off = from.

Oltda

Czech
    Right, now I get it. Thanks Paul. Apparently I thought she put the blanket over the window so that there would be shade in the car. Now it makes much more sence. thanks a lot

< Previous | Next >