blanket point

< Previous | Next >

rzezucha

polish
'Social networking: This is included as a ‘blanket point’ because in recent years this has become such
a technological faux pas that it can be a complete deal breaker, and can potentially lose you your job. ('Sex, drugs and Asperger Syndrome' Luke Jackson)

social networking here is one of the subjects that should not be discussed in a workplace. I'm not sure what exactly a 'blanket point' here is.

• Packard

USA, English
    Can you link us back to the source document? This does not sound like a standard phrase to me.

lingobingo

English - England
    In the book, these comments about Social Networking constitute one item in a list of bullet points. It seems likely that (despite the perplexing inverted commas) a blanket point here just means a general point, the other points in the list being more personal in nature.

rzezucha

polish
    still thinking about the possible meaning of this 'blanket point' especially that it is put in inverted commas (?). 'Blanket' generally means 'affecting or including all possible cases, situations or people, everyone or everything equally, even when this is not sensible or fair'. So I guess this is a point that refers to everyone and mustn't be exceeded. In other words people must not mention work while using social networking sites.

< Previous | Next >