blanket repression

< Previous | Next >

rzezucha

polish
I' doing some translations and have a lot of doubts as usually
This time 'blanket repression' thank you

• rzezucha

polish
    "By the early twentieth century Sigmund Frued had realised that we were paying a heavy price for this new 'civilisation', with the repression of many of our strongest emotions. However, as a man of his time, he thought this a price worth paying and devoted his energies to managing these powerful feelings in a more rational way. his aim was to provide an alternative to the blanket repression of forbidden sexual or aggressive feelings."

rzezucha

polish
    thanks a lot, I tried to find it everywhere and checked it separately but it did not help. Now I think 'blanket repression' means 'total' or 'complete' repression.

Aardvark01

British English (Midlands)
    Another expression I've heard used in this context is 'one size fits all'. Thus we might say that Freud was looking for an alternative to the one size fits all approach to forbidden feelings.
    A blanket term, or a blanket repression is a simplistic approach that may be appropriate for a large proportion of people but may get mis-applied to some who would be better understood and helped by a more detailed understanding.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Thank you for the context. :)

This is a different meaning of repression from the one discussed earlier in the thread. The meaning discussed above is the one used in psychology. It means something like "stop yourself from thinking about certain things.
    2. the rejection from consciousness of painful or disagreeable ideas, memories, feelings, or impulses.

In your example, 'repression' is based on this meaning of repress.
    2. to hold down and control (persons) unfairly or evilly: to repress one's civil rights.
    In your sentence, repression has to do with keeping people from expressing their opinions or being active politically. 'Blanket repression' is repression that applies to everybody and everything Islamists might do to express themselves or influence politics. It doesn't just repress violent demonstrations, for instance. It represses writing and talking about their ideas.

I hope this is helpful. If you still have a question, please ask. :)

[Where did you see this, arup? We ask you to name the source of every quotation.]

arup

Bengali
    Thank you for the context. :)

This is a different meaning of repression from the one discussed earlier in the thread. The meaning discussed above is the one used in psychology. It means something like "stop yourself from thinking about certain things.
    2. the rejection from consciousness of painful or disagreeable ideas, memories, feelings, or impulses.

In your example, 'repression' is based on this meaning of repress.
    2. to hold down and control (persons) unfairly or evilly: to repress one's civil rights.
    In your sentence, repression has to do with keeping people from expressing their opinions or being active politically. 'Blanket repression' is repression that applies to everybody and everything Islamists might do to express themselves or influence politics. It doesn't just repress violent demonstrations, for instance. It represses writing and talking about their ideas.

I hope this is helpful. If you still have a question, please ask. :)

[Where did you see this, arup? We ask you to name the source of every quotation.]
    Yes I understand. Thanks Cogey :)

< Previous | Next >