Blanket search?

< Previous | Next >

Wesley To

Cantonese
HI,
I came across the term "blanket search warrant". I have heard of 'fingertip search' and 'Carpet bombing'. I am wondering if "blanket search" exists in English. Is there a particular term for the kind of search in the case when "many policemen are searching for a case of bullet in a football field"?
All comments are welcome. Thank you.

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Here:

Blanket Search Warrant

An unconstitutionally broad authorization from a judge that allows the police to search multiple areas for evidence without specifying exactly what they are looking for.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Is there a particular term for the kind of search in the case when "many policemen are searching for a case of bullet in a football field"?
    A standard phrase is "finding a needle in a haystack". This phrase is hundreds of years old, and is not specifically about police. It is any search which is unlikely to succeed (because there is so much to search through).

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Blanket search" isn't a common expression. But if I heard it, it would mean the same as it means in "blanket search warrant". That's really just a warrant for a blanket search, where a blanket search is a search that looks for anything useful, not one specific thing.

A: Boss, I can break into the guy's apartment, easy. But what am I looking for?

B: Do a blanket search. Report anything unusual. I'm sure this guy is a crook, but I can't prove it.

< Previous | Next >