Blankety-blank or so and so

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
Hello everybody
Lets suppose you (Martin) park your car somewhere and leave it there. When you come back, out of the blue, you see a big scratch on your car’s surface. You have your friend with you who you stand on ceremony with him and cannot let off your steam by using bad language and swear words, but you would like to express your sentiments. I need to know what Americans use to describe the person who has scratched the car in the following scenario:

Friend: Wow, look Martin! Someone has scratched your car
Martin: Oh, no! Which ………. has done it?
a) blankety-blank
b) so and so

Source: self-made
I guess both expressions work here and in this context they are interchangeable.

Last edited:
  • JustKate

Moderate Mod
    They aren't really interchangeable, A-friend. "So-and-so" is usually used in reference to a person - that is, instead of saying "That bastard" or some other rude way to refer to a person, you can say "so-and-so " in its place. "Blankety-blank" is used in place of an expletive. So, to get explicit ( ;)), rather than saying "Shit!" or any of those other things we sometimes say when we're angry, we say "Blankety-blank!"

But I have to say, we don't say either of those things very much. I don't use much profanity, and yet they both sound really namby-pamby and silly to me. If I want to "express my sentiments" without resorting to bad language, I can do a lot better than "Blankety blank" or "So-and-so." There're lots of nice, vivid expressions that don't involve cursing, and I'd probably use some of those.

Last edited:

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    They aren't really interchangeable, A-friend. "So-and-so" is usually used in reference to a person - that is, instead of saying "That bastard" or some other rude way to refer to a person, you can say "so-and-so " in its place. "Blankety-blank" is used in place of an expletive. So, to get explicit ( ;)), rather than saying "Shit!" or any of those other things we sometimes say when we're angry, we say "Blankety-blank!"

But I have to say, we don't say either of those things very much. I don't use much profanity, and yet they both sound really namby-pamby and silly to me. If I want to "express my sentiments" without resorting to bad language, I can do a lot better than "Blankety blank" or "So-and-so." There're lots of nice, vivid expressions that don't involve cursing, and I'd probably use some of those.
    Thank you very much dear JustKate; You're comments have always been helpful and full of new information. ;)

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I should think that even a friend with whom you stand on ceremony, or one who you know doesn't like "strong language", would understand your recourse to "Anglo-Saxon" under these circumstances! Perhaps you could say, "OH, NOOO!" - ?

< Previous | Next >