blazing trails

< Previous | Next >
Please could you help me with that phrase in the following context:
"The Dunlop deal could blaze a trail."

Thank you!

I already know the single words (to blaze is as similar as to glow and a trail something similar as a road), but put together they make no sense for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Embonpoint

English--American
    The phrase "blaze a trail" in English means to start a road which can later be used by you or others.

The image is of going into a woods full of trees, brush etc. There are no trails, and you create one by cutting away at the vegetation. I suspect that before mechanical machinery this was sometimes done with fire, hence the use of the word blaze.

Cypherpunk

US, English
    To 'blaze a trail' also means to cut a path or trail through a forest, mark the trees with little cuts at around eye level (to blaze). So, 'to blaze a trail' means to be a pioneer or to go where others have not ventured.

Last edited:
    The phrase "blaze a trail" in English means to start a road which can later be used by you or others.

The image is of going into a woods full of trees, brush etc. There are no trails, and you create one by cutting away at the vegetation. I suspect that before mechanical machinery this was sometimes done with fire, hence the use of the word blaze.
    thank you.
    I thought of that possibility but the imagination of making fire just to have a path was a little bit odd for me.

< Previous | Next >