blazing

Hello,
I have a difficulty understanding one quote from Herbert George Wells' The Outline of History (1919):

"The dog and his bone, the tigress and her lair, the roaring stag and his herd, these are proprietorship blazing." (as cited in Barnes & Noble 2004 edition, p. 242)

I see he means that all these examples (dog, tigress, stag) are proprietorships, i.e. owners, but I don't quite understand what he means by blazing. As I see it he demonstrates that notion of private property is inherent in not only human but also animal nature. Does he mean that these are blazing examples of proprietorships?

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hello Fox05, this use of "blazing" is not common, it's a specific image here. Without further context, I understand it here to mean that the sense of proprietorship or ownership is very strong, you can't stop it easily, it's like a house on fire. The dog, the tigress and the stag guard and protect their bone, lair and herd jealously. They will defend it fearlessly, they will attack anyone or anything that threatens it.

< Previous | Next >