Blend in

< Previous | Next >

f-aibo

Italian
Hi,
I'm writing lyrics for a song, I'm going to use the verb "Blend". It's a song that talks about solitude, and the effort the overcome it, trying to integrate with other people.

This is the phrase:

"But even blending in the masses
Saved myself from the feeling to be wrong"

The words fit in perfectly with the music but I'm not sure if it's grammatically correct. WR translates this with "Blending in with something" but that's too long for me. Could you help me? Thank you!!!

• pob14

American English
    You might try shoehorning "into" into one syllable, pronouncing it something like "inna." Or you could try "blending with the masses."

It's a song; as you can see from many threads here, songs don't have to be grammatically correct.

(If I were you, I'd be more concerned about the "feeling to be wrong" part, but that's another discussion for another time.)

f-aibo

Italian
    Blending with the masses sounds perfect! So I can cut the "in" between "blend" and "with" ?

(Just a curiosity, maybe I'll create anothere thread: what's wrong with "feeling to be wrong" part?)

sound shift

English - England
    When a person is the subject, "blend in" is intransitive in my usage:
    "He likes to blend in." :tick: ("With everyone else" is understood.) Intransitive.
    "He likes to blend in with the people around him." :tick: Intransitive.
    "He likes to blend in the masses." :cross: Transitive.

< Previous | Next >