bless the Lord / praise the Lord

maria vecchi

Italian
Hello,
I would like to know the usual response to the referenced phrase in English. In Italian we say: "Sia lodato il Signore" -> "Sempre sia lodato".
Thank you.

• Tonza

English - U.S.
    "Bless the Lord" and "Praise the Lord" are not synonyms, and I'd be very surprised to hear anyone say "Bless the Lord" since generally it is the Lord doing the blessing.

"Sempre sia lodato" would be something like "May He always be praised"; another standard way to respond would be simply "May He be praised".

Jelsah

British English
    Tonza is absolutely right that usually, at least in Anglican Church, you would hear "Praise the Lord" and the response, as far as I remember is indeed "May He be praised" or "The Lord be praised" .
    However, I have found references on the web mostly for Gospel Evangelist sites for - and I quote "Bless the Lord (Come on and) praise the Lord with me, Hallelujah!
    (Come on and) clap your hands with me"

Languages are a constantly evolving expression of human culture and to some extent, at least, if it is said, it means something. Not belonging to or knowing anyone who belongs to, a Gospel Congregation, I do not know what the Gospel response would be, if any.........

maria vecchi

Italian
    Thanks everyone.
    P.S. I found the praise/bless alternative here on Word Reference as well. FYI, in Italian you can say: "Benedetto il Signore" and so on.

Tonza

English - U.S.
    @Jelsah and maria vecchi, regarding "Bless the Lord", you are right, it is really common! It's all over the internet, and not even just restricted to a certain church. When I first read it I interpreted "bless" as "to give a benediction to" or "to consecrate", but of course it has other meanings too. For example, "blessed" as an adjective can mean "worthy of worship", which is maybe similar to "Benedetto il Signore"? Anyway, you're totally right, it sounded funny to me for a moment but it doesn't anymore. :)

Jelsah

British English
    Yes, I know Tonza. Often I think something doesn't sound quite right and then I find that it is used by other people. The first time I watched "the Wire" or "The Shield" I needed the subtitles and it would have been nice to have had a simultaneous interpreter too! I hardly understood a word! But by the time you have heard something a few times, it starts to sound "right".

< Previous | Next >