Blessed he with boils

niina

Polish
Hi,
Recently I've found Xanthochroid's album "Blessed He With Boils" and I was wondering what does this title mean, because I'm afraid I don't get it? Could anyone explain what it might possibly mean? I know the meaning of "blessed" but I don't know what "boils" mean and that's why I don't understand the album's title - I've been searching for the definition of this word, but I've only found a medical term.
Thanks ;)

• Biffo

English - England
    boil /bɔɪl/n
    • a red painful swelling with a hard pus-filled core caused by bacterial infection of the skin and subcutaneous tissues, esp at a hair follicle
      Technical name: furuncle
    Etymology: Old English bӯle; related to Old Norse beyla swelling, Old High German būlla bladder, Gothic ufbauljan to inflate
    http://www.wordreference.com/definition/boil

Normally we would expect "cursed with boils" because boils are very unpleasant.

Why the word "blessed" is used is a mystery to me. I suspect it is irony.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Hi niina,

I'll take a stab at this one, though I've never heard of the album, and say that it sounds like an allusion to the Book of Job in the Bible. God afflicted Job with boils--the medical condition--as part of a series of torments he inflicted on him to test his faith. Job passed the test, so he could presumably be called "Blessed." So I'm guessing the title means something like "Blessed is he who has boils"--absurd, I know!

(cross-posted with Biffo: I hope we're not going to argue over whether God or Satan was "really" responsible.:D)

niina

Polish
    Thank you ;) Actually, that's the definition that I've found (the medical term) and it is the only thing that seems right to me (although "blessed" is not what you'd expect - I think that's the concept of this title). It even makes more sense if you take a look at the cover art :)

Last edited:

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It's hard to say on the title alone (the lyrics might be more informative), but probably 'he' is the subject of the verb 'blessed' - an inversion common in biblical and pseudo-biblical style:

and there slew they the goats, yea, and placed they the bits in little pots - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
    So rested he by the Tumtum tree - Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky

It sounds to me as if they're pretending to be quoting a bit of the Bible, something like 'Then blessed he with boils his servant Job'.

Biffo

English - England
    ... but probably 'he' is the subject of the verb 'blessed' - an inversion common in biblical and pseudo-biblical style:
    That's definitely worth pointing out. In fact I would say "certainly" rather than "probably". If 'he' was the object of the verb it would have been "blessed him with boils"

In modern parlance, the title says "He blessed with boils." So, yes, as theartichoke said, Job was ultimately 'blessed' by God/Satan* by being given boils.

< Previous | Next >