Blessing of a shop or a restaurant

< Previous | Next >

cherry1008

Cebuano Philippines
Hi, everyone. We call 'house warming' for a blessing of a house. What do you call for a blessing of a store or a restaurant?
Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

• Myridon

English - US
    We call 'house warming' for a blessing of a house.
    In the US, a house warming is a party held in a new house to show it off. You would invite all your friends. The equivalent for a store or restaurant would be a grand opening.
    I imagine that if I had my house blessed, it would be just my family and the <priest, minister, rabbi, ...> rather than a party.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In BE, the blessing of a house, store, restaurant, etc., is unknown.

A house-warming is a party/social gathering in a newly acquired home.

cherry1008

Cebuano Philippines
    In the US, a house warming is a party held in a new house to show it off. You would invite all your friends. The equivalent for a store or restaurant would be a grand opening.
    I imagine that if I had my house blessed, it would be just my family and the <priest, minister, rabbi, ...> rather than a party.
    Hello, Myridon. Thank you. Glad to know it, because I thought a house warming and house blessing is similar. Thanks again. If it is not a grand opening of the restaurant but a blessing by a priest, should I say 'restaurant blessing'?

sdgraham

USA English
    I suppose a store catering to a particular religious denomination might be blessed, but I've not encountered one (U.S.).

Neither do we generally have "house blessings," but note that there was a 1927 song, Bless this House, written by Englishwoman, Helen Taylor.

A look at the lyrics, however, will show that it's not really about some clergyman invoking some sort of "blessing."

On the other hand, clergymen of some religious denominations, including my late father-in-law, can "bless" just about anything, although I never was able to figure out what that meant. (Or accomplished:rolleyes:)

< Previous | Next >