blew out 'on me'

< Previous | Next >

Daffodil100

Chinese
In an American film titled Family Man, a customer told a salesman of tyres, 'It just blew out on me', while pointing at the flat tyre of his car.

Why did the customer say "on me"? Isn't it clear to say it just blew out?

Thanks!

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    You could leave out the "on me", and it would describe the same event. "On me" adds a tone or feeling. It emphasizes the fact that what happened is upsetting to the customer.

Here is a previous thread that explains this usage in another context. It contains a link to this third thread, that shows its use in more serious circumstances.

MilkyBarKid

British English
    One of the uses of 'on' is having something (place or thing) as a target : "There were five air raids on the city." | "There were thousands marching on Washington in protest."

With 'on me', it is as if you are the target, the 'victim' (or possible victim) of some inconvenience, being let down, abandonment etc by someone/something you depend on, or expected to be dependable.

Prisoner in gaol: "I thought he was a friend, but he ratted/squealed on me to the warden."

"It just blew out on me." : instead of doing what tyres usually do, and dependably, it unexpectedly blew out, as if it turned on/turned against the man.

"Don't wander away/off on me." : don't cause me the inconvenience/trouble of having to search for.

"Don't go and die on me." : as if 'abandoning' me, leaving me alone - (might be said as a form of humour, as if the ill / injured person has the capacity to decide whether he will live =stay, or leave the person = die.

CrazyGeek

Vietnamese
    Is "Don't go and die on me" an idiom ?
    Can I say "Don't go away on me" or "Don't run away on me" ?
    Which is more commonly used ?
    Thank you !

< Previous | Next >