...blind from birth

< Previous | Next >

Jigen

Italian
1.He is blind from birth
2.He has been blind since birth
3.He has been blind from birth
4.He was blind from birth

Could you please tell me which of the previious sentences is correct?

• Jigen

Italian
    Basically,what is the difference between from and since?They are both used to indicate when something starts,aren't they?

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Just because they can both be used to indicate when something started does not mean that they are interchangeable - there are patterns of speech and nuances. "Since" is usually used with a specific moment in time - if you say "since birth" it implies that something changed at the moment of birth (for example the baby is not genetically blind, but an accident during the birth resulted in blindness). "From" is less precise about the time, and from this we understand that the person has always been blind, as opposed to from the specific moment of his birth.

GoKyu

US English
    I wouldn't have any problem with #2...it basically has the same meaning as #3.

If anything, #1 doesn't sound right because of the present tense "is" - I'd say "He was blind from birth" before ever saying "He IS blind from birth."

Jigen

Italian
    Instead you would use the present perfect "He has been blind" or a past form "He was blind",wouldnìt you?

MamáDeNora

English--American
    #2 sounds best to me as a native speaker of American English. #4 is fine but maybe more appropriate if the person in question has passed away.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Doesn't "He WAS blind from birth" seem to indicate that earlier he was blind, but his blindness has been cured now?
    Or yes, as MDN says, he is no more now?​

Loob

English UK
    Doesn't "He WAS blind from birth" seem to indicate that earlier he was blind, but his blindness has been cured now?
    Or yes, as MDN says, he is no more now?​
    Yes, it indicates that the blindness is past: either it was cured or the person died.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Please restrict the discussion in this thread to the topic sentences.

New sentences in other tenses should have their own threads.

Cagey, moderator.

neal41

USA, English
    I probably would not say 1), but 'blind from birth' can be regarded as an adjectival phrase which describes a certain condition. In that sense "He is blind from birth" is a normal sentence with the meaning "He is congenitally blind".

neal41

USA, English
    A search in Google indicates that "is blind from birth" is in fact used. 18,100 hits compared with 22,300 for "has been blind from birth". For example,

If someone is blind from birth, what do they dream about?

< Previous | Next >