Blind, one-eyed + food, beverage

123xyz

Macedonian
Hello everyone,

I am interested in expressions referring to food or beverage containing terms such as "blind" or "one-eyed" in various languages. For example, Hrvatski Jezični Portal documents "ćoravi gulaš" as a term denoting a vegetarian goulash, where "ćoravi", literally meaning "having sight only in one eye", has been semantically extended from a visual deficiency to a "deficiency" at the level of ingredients, namely the lack of meat. Romanian, in turn, has the expression "apă chioară", defined by DEX 2009 as "nume dat unor alimente lichide sau unor băuturi alcoolice prea diluate" = "a designation for certain liquid dishes or overly diluted alcoholic beverages". Are you aware of other expressions of the sort in other languages, regardless of the actual meaning as opposed to the literal one? It would be helpful if you could provide links.

Thank you in advance

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I think in EN we'd say "vegetaran (stew)", and "watered-down/diluted" for alcoholic beverages; if they intentionally have a low alcohol level, though, we say "light", often spelled "lite" in this context. I can't think of an adjective meaning "blind" or "one- eyed", although the speakeasies (places where alcohol was illegal provided during Prohibition) were called "blind pigs", supposedly because the concoctions they served ("bathtub gin", for instance) were said to induce blindness if consumed in large quantities.

In Italian the first thing that comes to my mind is not any specific food or drink but an expression somehow related to this subject: non vederci più dalla fame - literally you can no longer see because of hunger; to go blind because of hunger.

Last edited:
    In Greek, vegetarian variations of meat dishes, are called «ορφανό» [ɔr.faˈno] (neut. nom. sing.), «ορφανά» [ɔr.faˈna] (neut. nom. pl.) --> orphan(s) because they're considered bereft of meat.

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    In Italian the first thing that comes to my mind is not any specific food or drink but an expression somehow related to this subject: non vederci più dalla fame - literally you can no longer see because of hunger; to go blind because of hunger.
    In Czech we say: šilhám hlady = I have a squint (strabismus) because of hunger;

Vukabular

Banned
    Serbian
    I think that expression "ćoravi gulaš" is not related to "blind" or in this case "ćoravi" can't be literally translated as "blind" or "one-eyed" it is more related to "without" or "empty" or that something is missing. For example:
    ćorav "without eyes"
    ćopav "without legs"
    ćosav "withot hair"
    ćorak "empty bullet" or "missed target"

Zareza

Romanian
    a se uita cu un ochi la slănină și altul la faină = to look with one eye at the bacon and another at the flour

= cross-eyed (strabismus - esotropia) or wall-eyed (strabismus - exotropia)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >