blinks his eyes, nods his head, shrugs his shoulders?

anencephalus

Serbian
Is there a need to use the forms from the title of the topic? If someone nods during a conversation, isn't it obvious that there's nothing else he could've nodded but his/her head? Also, I presume one can only blink his/her eyes. In writing, should I use such constructions, or just: he blinks, she nods, he shrugs? Please be so kind as to shed some light on this :)

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Hello anencephalus, your question seems to suggest that you are looking for support for the proposition that there is no requirement to use the full form: "he blinks his eyes, he nods his head, he shrugs his shoulders."

Whereas, there is no absolute need/requirement to add the body part, it is a matter of style and you should not artificially restrict yourself to one form only.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I agree with e2efour. They are not necessary and often omitted (you can search on the internet for "nod", "blink" and "shrug" and see how they are commonly used).

Biffo

English - England
    I suspect the longer forms are a hangover from childhood. When teaching children the names of body parts and the movements they make, you will invariably hear a teacher giving instructions like:

Nod your head!
    Wave your arms!
    Stamp your feet!
    etc.

The clue as to which body-part is used, makes the phrases easier to understand and remember.

< Previous | Next >