blizzard of deception

< Previous | Next >

RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
Hi,
What does "blizzard of deception" mean here? I know the meaning of the words but I don't understand it.

“And while there has been a lot of terrific reporting on the Russia scandal, we need to see the same rigor brought to the blizzard of deception from the administration and Republicans in Congress on everything from the budget to health care to climate change.”

Source: Hillary Rodham Clinton. “What Happened.”

• lingobingo

English - England
    The word blizzard is being used metaphorically. It means a snowstorm, in which everything would be obscured by driving snow. So “a blizzard of deception” is a situation in which the truth is obscured by lies.

sdgraham

USA English
    "blizzard" is often used metaphorically in Englsh to mean
    The word blizzard is being used metaphorically. It means a snowstorm, in which everything would be obscured by driving snow. So “a blizzard of deception” is a situation in which the truth is obscured by lies.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Language Hound

American English
    She is saying that there has been a lot of great reporting on the Russia scandal and that that kind of reporting needs to be done on everything which the administration and the Republicans in Congress are lying about, from the budget to health care to climate change.

lingobingo

English - England
    But I don't understand how it relates to the Russian scandal.
    The clue is in the words “the same rigor”. Clinton is praising the way some of the media reported the Russia scandal, and saying that the same rigorous standards of investigative journalism should be applied to what goes on in Congress.

To put it into perspective, earlier in the same text she says: “The mainstream media also has a responsibility to do more to debunk the lies infecting out public life and more directly hold the liars accountable.” And just after it, she says: “(I love it when CNN does real-time fact-checking in its on-screen chyron. More of that, please.)”

< Previous | Next >