bloc party

< Previous | Next >

Pachuzka

Mexico, Spanish
Hi everyone!

I was wondering what is the meaning of "bloc party". It Is the name of a british rock band that I like, but still, I don't understand the traslation in spanish. Is it just a name or what? Is it british slang?

Thanks!

• Loob

English UK
    Sorry, Pachuzka, I don't think "bloc party" has any meaning at all.

"Bloc" has a meaning, and so does "party".

But together, they're meaningless...

lablady

English - USA
    A "block" can be a row of houses on the same street and sometimes we have a party with all the neighbors. It's called a block party.
    Continuing on that line of thinking, a "bloc" is an alliance, sometimes between countries as in the Soviet Bloc. I suppose if those countries came together in a celebration it could be a "bloc party". :D

I think the band just liked the play on words between "block party" and "bloc party". I have found a source that appears to agree.
    After going through a variety of names, such as Union, Superheroes of BMX, The Angel Range and Diet, the band settled on Bloc Party in September 2003, a play on block party. The band has said that the name was not intended to be an allusion to the Soviet Bloc or the Canadian political party Bloc Québécois. However, the band's bassist, Gordon Moakes, said on the group's official Internet forum that it was more a merging of the eastern "Blocs" and the western "parties", in the political sense. Moakes notes that the name was not driven by politics, but rather it "looked, sounded, seemed fine so we went with it."

Source

nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    I think it's a play on words.

A block party is a party where neighbours gather together in their street, or something similar.

A bloc, however, usually describes a faction of a wider group. For example, a political bloc.

< Previous | Next >