blockage / barricade

< Previous | Next >

promy

Russian
Hello, everyone!

The purpose of this thread is to ask you the following question:
Which word would you better use for describing a pile of rocks formed after a rockfall that block the path?

Thank you in advance!

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    A barricade is usually a military or tactical defensive structure that is erected intentionally.

I cannot comment on "Blockage" as you have given no real context.

Biffo

English - England
    A barricade is a makeshift barrier that people purposely erect to block the way of others.

'Blockage' is probably correct but there may be better solutions depending on the rest of the sentence.

promy

Russian
    Not much context given. Just in a phrase "You have to dismantle the blockage/barricade of stones to make your way there." And I'm pretty sure that it refers to rocks/stones heaped after a rockfall. Maybe on some mountain road.
    P.S.: I'm doing a translation of a text on my own, so I might not feel some subtleties of English. This is why I'm asking you this question.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Interesting. Usually you dismantle something that has been built intentionally - e.g. a machine, a house, etc. Thuis this indicates that someone placed them there intentionally, and they would be a barricade.

If the stones arrived by a rockfall, you would remove the stones.

So again, is this an adventure game of some sort? Who is the person who will have to dispose of the stones? Why is he there?

promy

Russian
    Yes, a kind of. Probably you are right about removing them, thanks for making that point! I only wanted to know what term I could use for a heap of rocks formed after a rockfall, as I thought that there was some term out there to describe a pile of rocks that blocks your passage.

sdgraham

USA English
    Biffo and PaulQ are spot-on, but additionally: Around here, we have frequent landslides, rockfalls, mudslides and, in the mountains, avalanches blocking passage on roads, trails, etc.

Normally, we "clear" them.

promy

Russian
    Thank you very much, sdgraham! Your answer is surely valuable. But could you please tell me how you would call a pile of such rocks with one word or a term?

sdgraham

USA English
    Sorry, I should have been clearer above.

Around here, we call them landslides or rockfalls - depending upon their nature.

In addition, "pile of rocks" is quite understandable and might be used in some contexts.

promy

Russian
    Thanks everyone!

Now I'll look deeper into the context and will choose between "landslide" and "rockfall" - depending upon the nature. :)

I really appreciate all your help!

< Previous | Next >