Blocking and tackling

< Previous | Next >

singsing

Korean
Hello,

please help me understand the meaning of “blocking and tackling,” which I think is used figuratively, in the following sentence:

"Accounting has been referred to as the “blocking and tackling” of financial reporting. I don’t think I am offending many accountants by saying it's often an unglamorous exercise."

Does it mean accounting is boring? If so, why is blocking and tackling boring?(I don’t know much about sports L)

Last edited:
  • airportzombie

English - CaE/AmE
    Blocking and tackling are American football terms. I'm not a sports guy myself, but I found this article that aptly describes the use of blocking and tackling in the business environment. In the fourth paragraph, the author mentions about how he had heard a CEO of a company talks about the importance of blocking and tackling in business:
    He explained that the key to his success in leading this company was the ability of his employees to execute the fundamentals. In other words he said, "It was all about blocking and tackling". He had no superstars on the assembly line. Instead he spoke of "achieving extraordinary results from ordinary people" just as Coach Lombardi had done.
    So accounting is unglamorous because you don't usually get "superstars" from this group of ordinary people, but it is fundamental to financial reporting.

Copyright

American English
    Blocking and tackling in American football is not as exciting as throwing, running and receiving. In those last three, you have the ball -- in blocking and tackling, you're simply protecting people that have the ball. You're all muscle, no glamor. :D

Yes, account is boring, or at least unglamorous, in the opinion of the writer.

Edit: airportzombie and I were running with the ball at the same time. Touchdown! (We're glamorous.) :)

singsing

Korean
    Thank you SO much, airportzombie and Copyright!:)
    It's crystal clear to me now. Your explanations and examples really helped!

< Previous | Next >