Blocking of Assistance

Aimannz

English India
Hi all,

I am writing a report and is wondering which is the best grammatical structure for writing a sub-heading. Is it "Blocking of Assistance by Gatekeepers" or "Blocking Assistance by Gatekeepers". Which is correct and neater please? Thanks in advance.

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    It depends if you mean: Assistance by the gatekeepers is being blocked, the gatekeepers are assisting with (the) blocking (of something) or the gatekeepers are blocking "assistance".

Aimannz

English India
    It depends if you mean: Assistance by the gatekeepers is being blocked, the gatekeepers are assisting with (the) blocking (of something) or the gatekeepers are blocking "assistance".
    Thanks Franco. It is the second. Gatekeepers are blocking assistance provided. So which one to use please?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Aimannz. :)

Your answer to Franco-filly wasn't clear, at least to me. Her second possibility was that people were blocking something, and the gatekeepers were assisting them. But your answer seems to suggest that assistance was being provided by someone and the gatekeepers were blocking that assistance.

Perhaps it will help if you can give us more context. Who was blocking what, exactly? Where? Exactly what what were the gatekeepers doing? (And what were they the gatekeepers of?)

Aimannz

English India
    Welcome to the forum, Aimannz. :)

Your answer to Franco-filly wasn't clear, at least to me. Her second possibility was that people were blocking something, and the gatekeepers were assisting them. But your answer seems to suggest that assistance was being provided by someone and the gatekeepers were blocking that assistance.

Perhaps it will help if you can give us more context. Who was blocking what, exactly? Where? Exactly what what were the gatekeepers doing? (And what were they the gatekeepers of?)
    Hi Parla. Yes, i meant exactly what you wrote in your last sentence (highlighted in Red) Assistance is being provided by someone (agency) to the poor and the gatekeepers (who are employed by the agency to facilitate the process) are blocking the assistance. So they are preventing the poor from accessing assistance. So which sub-heading would be better: "Blocking of Assistance by Gatekeepers" or "Blocking Assistance by Gatekeepers".

And it would be great if you can explain to me the difference between the two sub-headings please. Many thanks.

Truffula

English - USA
    Of the two, "Blocking of Assistance by Gatekeepers" is better for your intended meaning.

I would put "Gatekeepers Blocking Assistance," myself.

Or, if you can use different words, "When Facilitators become Gatekeepers" is a title I would find more clear. Since it is a sub-heading, it is probably clear enough that the subject is the provision of assistance. The term "gatekeeper" in itself implies blocking access.

The difference is that "Blocking Assistance by Gatekeepers" has more of the meaning of the gatekeepers providing assistance in desirable blocking of access. It makes "blocking" into an adjective that describes assistance - making it seem that the type of assistance being provided is assistance in blocking something. Whereas "Blocking of Assistance by Gatekeepers" is more neutral and shows that the assistance is what is being blocked, not the blocking what is being assisted.

Aimannz

English India
    Perfect Truffula :) you have made it really clear. And thanks for the explanation. Also thanks to Franco-filly and Parla.

< Previous | Next >