blocking question

< Previous | Next >

audiolaik

Polish
Hello,

If the journalists ask any questions not covered by the information above, use a 'blocking' answer, or ask the Chief Executive of Natoil to answer it.

What does this phrase mean?

(Source: role play exercise)

Thanks!

• ewie

English English
    It's that type of answer which politicians the world over are so good at, i.e. no answer at all, just a lot of hot air.

ewie

English English
    Just a dozen.
    I did think (after posting) that in a way my answer was a kind of 'blocking answer' in that it didn't really answer your question. I'd define a blocking answer as one which is specially formulated not to answer a question ~ methods may vary from politician to politician and depending on circumstances. Some politicos when being interviewed have an agenda, i.e. stuff they have come on the tv to say, and they will just go right ahead and damn well say it, regardless of any questions that may be posed to them. At other times you'll hear them patronizing the arses off the interviewers with such responses as, "With all due respect, Jeremy, that is not a sensible question to be asking at this time ~ what you should be asking ..." Etc. etc. etc. ad [literally] nauseam.

audiolaik

Polish
    Just a dozen.
    I did think (after posting) that in a way my answer was a kind of 'blocking answer' in that it didn't really answer your question. I'd define a blocking answer as one which is specially formulated not to answer a question ~ methods may vary from politician to politician and depending on circumstances. Some politicos when being interviewed have an agenda, i.e. stuff they have come on the tv to say, and they will just go right ahead and damn well say it, regardless of any questions that may be posed to them. At other times you'll hear them patronizing the arses off the interviewers with such responses as, "With all due respect, Jeremy, that is not a sensible question to be asking at this time ~ what you should be asking ..." Etc. etc. etc. ad [literally] nauseam.

You mean evading?

Lexiphile

England English
    No. The idea behind a blocking answer is to prevent further discussion. Even inexperienced politicos can evade a question, but a successful blocking answer requires skill and practice.

An (extreme) example of a blocking answer:
    Q: "Do you think immigration is good for the country?"
    A: "Well, I know some racists are against immigration...."

It now doesn't matter what follows (in the elipsis). Anyone who supports a view that does not embrace immigration has been branded "a racist". Further discussion is thus blocked.

< Previous | Next >