Blood-rich cavity of sound

EvaH

Czech
Hello,

In the book "Parrot and Olivier in America" which I am translating, I came across a strange "metaphore". Context: Olivier is chasing his desperate mother and hurts his leg. She is very sad and is acting rather hysterically - she is howling. Some time ago the mother had sung a song called "A Troubadour of Béarn", now she is "howling" in a different way. Olivier describes his chase like this:

"I tripped on the stairs and hurt my leg running toward this dreadful howl of wind bursting from the same dear pipes that had sung "A Troubadour of Béarn". I entered the blood-rich cavity of sound, and discovered my maman on her chaise, her face all raw and wet as if flayed by grief."

I don't understand the expression "blood-rich cavity of sound". Does "blood-rich" mean well perfused, well supplied with blood or rather blood-stained (Olivier has hurt his leg??). What does "cavity of sound" mean?

Thank you very much for your help.

• MuttQuad

English - AmE
    I don't understand the phrase "blood-rich" either, as applied to a "cavity of sound." As it doesn't make much sense, direct translation would be difficult, if not impossible. Render it a way that you feel does justice to the author's general style an d whatever you feel the intended meaning might be.

EvaH

Czech
    Could the "blood-rich" perhaps mean that Olivier entered a space full of blood relatives? I have in mind a room full of paintings portraying his blood relatives?? That's just an idea and maybe it's nonsense...

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The cavity of sound = the room
    blood-rich = deeply filled with atavistic emotion.

< Previous | Next >