blood withdrawer?

Edher

USA
Cd. de México, Spanish & English
Saludos,

What is the name for the profession of people who withdraw blood and analyze it?

Thank you,
Edher

• timpeac

English (England)
    I don't know if there is a specific name - some sort of lab technician I suppose. By the way you "take" blood - not "withdraw" (at least in BE).

Edher

USA
    Saludos timpeac,

Lab technician was my top guess but I was discouraged when I couldn't find it in the dictionary. At times it has professions listed. It sounds correct to me though, now that I have some support. lol.

Is it "take" blood? or "take blood" out? I thought "withdraw" sounded a bit more formal and technical.

Thank you for your promptness,
    Edher

timpeac

English (England)
    Edher said:
    Saludos timpeac,

Lab technician was my top guess but I was discouraged when I couldn't find it in the dictionary. At times it has professions listed. It sounds correct to me though, now that I have some support. lol.

Is it "take" blood? or "take blood" out? I thought "withdraw" sounded a bit more formal and technical.

Thank you for your promptness,
    Edher

Just "take blood" full stop, and you're welcome:) .

By the way "lab technician" definitely exists - my friend is one, and one of her tasks is testing blood. I just don't know if there is a more specific term.

Edher

USA
    De acuerdo,

"Take blood" it is, then.

Thank you for your assistance,
    Edher

Edher

USA
    Saludos Panjandrum,

Excellent advise, thank you very much. I knew I had heard something with "draw" related to this profession.

Edher

Brioche

Australia English
    panjandrum said:
    A person who draws blood is a phlebotomist.

In the UK, the person who pilots the high-tech analyser is a lab tech - or medical laboratory scientific officer, MLSO. There are various grades of MLSO. MLSOs do not draw blood. "Draw blood" is the recognised phrase.

"to draw blood" is also an idiom = to injure someone physically or emotionally.

Phlebotomy is the name for the discredited practice of bleeding or blood-letting. (literally vein cutting)

So a phlebotomist could mean those barbers of old who "cured" patients by bleeding them.

nycphotography

American English
    In AE the official job title (as posted in want ads, etc) is indeed phlebotomist.

Lab Tech is a general term that could cover a wide variety of responsibilities one type of which could be a phlebotomist.