Bloom Energy is about to make public its invention

< Previous | Next >

YlangYlang

French - France
Hi everyone

I need some help understanding a strange grammar point in a sentence I read and heard about “Bloom Box”.

The sentence is :

“Well over 100 start-ups in Silicon Valley are working on it, and one of them, Bloom Energy, is about to make public its invention: a little power plant-in-a-box they want to put literally in your backyard.”

What I actually find strange is the fact that they say “X is going to make public its invention”.
I was taught that in English, a verb must always be directly followed by its complement..and here, the complement is “its invention” so normally, the sentence should be “to make its invention public”..

Why isn't it so ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

YlangYlang

• kevin98230

English
    I am not 100% sure. But I think "public" here is a bit like an adverb, so "to make public" perhaps behaves like a phrasal verb.
    In which case, it is entirely possible to put the object complements between the main verb and the adverb/preposition.

e.g.
    "to take off"
    I took off my coat.
    I took my coat off.
    BUT if the object complement is very long, like "my highly-revolting vomit-like brownish-coloured coat", it would usually go AFTER the adverb/preposition, so that the listener/reader wouldn't lose track of the phrasal verb.
    i.e. I took off my highly-revolting vomit-like brownish-coloured coat.
    UNLIKELY: I took my highly-revolting vomit-like brownish-coloured coat off.

So both "to make its invention public" and "to make public its invention" are correct.

Last edited:

YlangYlang

French - France
    Ok, that makes sense.

Thanks a lot kevin98230 !

Oh and by the way thanks for correcting my little mistake when saying "[...] to put the object complements [...]".

I was definitely talking about the "object" of a verb when I said "complement". It's not exactly the same grammatically speaking so I guess it's important to point out the difference.

Hope this topic will help other people in the future.

YlangYlang

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >