blotched/mottled face

< Previous | Next >

Axelroll

Spanish (Spain)
Hello all,

In a fiction text I'm reading the author talks about the "blotched, mottled face" of a woman that's crying. Does the writer uses both adjectives just to add emphasis or is there a significant difference between them?

Thanks!

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us the complete sentence, and tell us the name and author of the book. What is the context? Is there any other reason for her face to be blotched and mottled, besides the fact that she's been crying?

Axelroll

Spanish (Spain)
    Ok, sorry for not giving the author and context before. The book is Ann Quin's Berg. The woman has been crying and probably her makeup has run because of that. There's no other reason why she should have "blotches" on her face. I just wanted to know if a native sees a difference between those two adjectives when read in the phrase: Berg watched Judith's blotched, mottled face rise out from the bedspread, flat between the wall, the partition. I understand from it that the woman has been crying face down on the bedspread of the bed of her room, and then she rises. <-----Additional question removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I don't know about you, but when I cry hard and for a long time, my face gets red blotches on it. My skin may look mottled because of the irregular red patches on my face. Certainly my nose will be red! My appearance will be changed. The change will not be an improvement!

Blotching and mottling are two different things, although they are similar in meaning.

<-----Response to now-deleted question removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Axelroll

Spanish (Spain)
    Blotching and mottling are two different things, although they are similar in meaning.
    Thanks, Sparky, I understand the general meaning of "blotched" and "mottled" but what I want to discern is exactly the difference between them. Perhaps a "mottled" look is derived from the sum of many blotches spread on someone's skin?

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Thanks, Sparky, I understand the general meaning of "blotched" and "mottled" but what I want to discern is exactly the difference between them. Perhaps a "mottled" look is derived from the sum of many blotches spread on someone's skin?
    I think this is it, exactly.

< Previous | Next >