blow a kiss

Angelya

Chinese
Hi, friends! I have a question about "blow a kiss". According to the merriam-webster dictionary, to blow someone a kiss is to kiss the palm of one's hand, put the hand
flat in front of one's mouth, and then blow on it toward someone. But to my understanding, people kiss their fingers not palm to blow a kiss. What do you think? Waiting for your reply!

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    It's not always realised that gestures, like languages, differ from country to country. There are excellent books on this by Desmond Morris (Gestures, Bodytalk, etc.). If I remember correctly, British people don't use the fingertip-kiss as much as the French or Italians.

Last edited:

manfy

German - Austria
    I’ve seen people do both. Kissing the fingers is a lot more common in my experience.
    :thumbsup:
    For a small and light kiss your fingertips are strong enough, but if you want to blow a big, heartfelt kiss you need the strength of your palm.

:p Nah, I'm just kidding. I don't think anybody makes that distinction. And yes, I use both both types without trying to imply any difference.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The classic Franco-Italian fingertip kiss (with bunched up fingers) differs from the British one, and I wouldn't call it "blowing a kiss".

I've always put my palm flat at my mouth and kissed the tips of two fingers, then "tossed" the kiss to whomever I'm saying goodbye to. Kissing the palm and then "blowing" the kiss towards someone is rather foreign to me.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    :thumbsup:
    For a small and light kiss your fingertips are strong enough, but if you want to blow a big, heartfelt kiss you need the strength of your palm.

:p Nah, I'm just kidding. I don't think anybody makes that distinction. And yes, I use both both types without trying to imply any difference.
    If you kiss your fingers some of it might slip through the spaces between them, so the complete kiss might not reach its destination. Unless, of course, you have pudgy ones! :D

< Previous | Next >