blow off billion dollar deals

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Philip, Edwards' lawyer, thinks Edward made a big mistake to have stopped trying to overthrow Morse and started to help him instead. He said that Edward "blow off billion dollar deals !" (the sum of money he wanted to buy Morse's company for in order to sell it off by parts and have profit).
('Pretty woman')

I looked up 'blow off' in dictionaries and among idioms but didn't find it in a suitable meaning. is this a common expression? (I understand what Philip meant, though)
Thanks.

• waltern

English - USA
    I hear it used in the following sorts of ways:

If someone calls and leaves you messages repeatedly but you don't call them back, you have "blown (them) off".

If you are supposed to complete some task but choose not to, you have "blown (it) off".

If someone offers you a suggestion but you choose to ignore it, you have "blown (it) off".

etc.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I hear it used in the following sorts of ways:

If someone calls and leaves you messages repeatedly but you don't call them back, you have "blown (them) off".

If you are supposed to complete some task but choose not to, you have "blown (it) off".
    :tick:

If someone offers you a suggestion but you choose to ignore it, you have "blown (it) off".

etc.
    Do you mean that?

But I've just found something:
    2. to consider something to be unimportant
    Some students will simply blow off exams they don't think will be part of their records.
    Maybe this is the meaning?:confused:

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    That is precisely the meaning. It strongly suggests that something is being treated dismissively.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    2. to consider something to be unimportant
    Some students will simply blow off exams they don't think will be part of their records.
    I wouldn't call that an accurate definition. "To blow something off" means to fail to do it because it is considered unimportant, not simply to consider it as such.

< Previous | Next >