blow rainbows up

< Previous | Next >

Nimbrethil

Spanish Spain
Hello,
I have heard this expression “blow rainbows up someone’s butt/ass”. Although I have found many examples of usage on the internet, I cannot find a definition. I think it means that someone is making up the reality, hiding problems or difficulties to make other person believe that all will be easy and perfect. Am I right?
I would also like to know to what degree it is a coarse expression. I heard it some nights ago on The Voice USA. I had not heard the expression before; I was shocked when the coaches started talking about blowing rainbows up the contestant’s butt. It seemed to me on the borderline of what can be said in a family television show. Don't get me wrong, I laughed a lot.
I will appreciate any corrections. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • daniel.uy

Rio de la Plata Spanish
    Hi there Nimbrethil! Yes, the meaning you grasped is the same I understand for the expression which in Spanish would be dorar la píldora/adular. Now, as for the second question you bring up, not being a native speaker of English, I can't say how coarse the expression is, let alone considering the sensitivity towards language is such a subjective issue. However, Common Sense Media, an American non-profit organization that advocates on child and family issues has rated it appropriate for 10-year-olds. Check it here. Welcome to the forums, by the way!

Last edited:

fenixpollo

American English
    I agree with daniel.uy's excellent post. Just to add a little, the phrase sounds like a modern variant of the phrase "blow smoke up someone's ass". That version of the phrase is considered vulgar. I've also heard the phrase "blow sunshine up someone's ass". But the substitution of "rainbow" and "butt" appears to make the phrase less vulgar. Personally, I don't think it's appropriate for 10-year-olds, but you hear a lot of things on TV that were once taboo.

< Previous | Next >