blown-out blond bob

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
Hey everyone

I've got a question for you, actually I'm just checking if I'm on the right lines here: does "blown-out" stand for a hairstyle where hair is combed/brushed in a way that it stands quite high? Is it something like Afro from the '70s? Thanks! :)

• stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    panjandrum said:
    Apparently THIS PHOTOGRAPH was taken after the blown-out bob had been completed by the expert. It looks to me like a disaster waiting for a make-over.
    Wow, that's something completely different from what I was thinking. Where does the blown-out fit in? Does it mean that the hair is cut to slightly curl to the outside, away from the head?

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I'm afraid I have plumbed the depths of my knowledge of the blown-out bob. The description of how this was done, HERE , says that "First the tresses are blown-out straight ...".

GenJen54

USA - English
    Hi stargazer,

Given this and your last post about graphite beads, am I assuming that the time period of the book you are trasnlating is the 1920s? If so, then "blown-out" may have an entirely different connotation altogether.

It would help if we had a bit more contextual understanding of the book's subject (in general) and place/time.

A "blown out" bob by today's standards is probably much different than one from another time period.

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    GenJen54 said:
    Hi stargazer,

Given this and your last post about graphite beads, am I assuming that the time period of the book you are trasnlating is the 1920s? If so, then "blown-out" may have an entirely different connotation altogether.

It would help if we had a bit more contextual understanding of the book's subject (in general) and place/time.

A "blown out" bob by today's standards is probably much different than one from another time period.
    Hi GenJen54

Actually, the story takes place "now", in New York (Upper East Side). It is about teenagers from wealthy families. It's Cecily von Ziegesar's Gossip Girl.
    The protagonist's mother has this kind of hairdo. She is giving a party, and is wearing "the fitted, graphite-beaded cashmere dress". At some point she is "patting her blown-out blond bob".
    I see I was way off thinking that blown-out looks similar to Afro. :D

< Previous | Next >