blu-tack, blue tack, bluetac, blue tac

Hazel Robins

England, English
I´ve worked out by now that this is a brand name so I´m not about to find it in a dictionary, but I need to get hold of some equivalent substance here in Paraguay, so I was hoping someone would have a word for me, which I could say to the shopkeeper instead of 'algo que pega el papel de la pared' which doesn't seem to do the trick. Ayudame por favor! Muchas gracias.

• friedfysh

England, United Kingdom (English)
    Hi, I wondered if anyone could tell me how to translate blu tack into Spanish. I'm not even sure of a generic name in English. I mean the sticky stuff that people use to put up posters etc. It is usually blue or white.

fenixpollo

American English
    If you're not sure of the generic name in English, then we won't be able to translate it for you. The context you provided does help, though.

One possibility is "poster tack", but even that is not terribly descriptive.

If I had to invent a translation, it might be plastilina/masilla para pegar carteles/pósteres.

Saludos.

friedfysh

In the UK everyone knows it as blu tack. I assume that isn't the case in other countries. That's why I said I didn't know a generic name. Thanks for the suggestions.

Allegra90

Argentina Spanish
    Hi :) I was hoping I could help you, but I don't really understand what a blu tack is.
    Here we use Plasticolas, Voligomas or Engrudo to stick things such as posters.

friedfysh

Actually, now that I think about it I wouldn't know how to describe it in English to an American even... something like "sticky stuff that looks a bit like plasticine but doesn't feel the same, used to stick posters to walls instead of a tack." My Spanish dictionary also has the brand name on the Spanish side so at least in Spain I'll be able to say that, but what about in other countries?

andy town

English Ireland
    I´ve worked out by now that this is a brand name so I´m not about to find it in a dictionary, but I need to get hold of some equivalent substance here in Paraguay, so I was hoping someone would have a word for me, which I could say to the shopkeeper instead of 'algo que pega el papel de la pared' which doesn't seem to do the trick. Ayudame por favor! Muchas gracias.
    Why not just say "blue-tack"?

mai512

Spain
    In Spain some people use the same word "Blue-tack" (not really common) but I always use "pegamento chicle" to refers to that... Hope it helps, good luck!

fenixpollo

American English
    Actually, now that I think about it I wouldn't know how to describe it in English to an American even... something like "sticky stuff that looks a bit like plasticine but doesn't feel the same, used to stick posters to walls instead of a tack."
    An American wouldn't know what plasticine was either. :p I would call it poster tack or poster putty in the U.S., and plastilina para (pegar) carteles in Latin America.

Hazel Robins

England, English
    wow lots of help from lots of people thank you! I tried just saying bluetack, but no one here in paraguay new what it meant. Now I have vocab to say in stead - hurrah! - thank you. Now I will be able to stick the number/colour posters to the walls for the english lessons I'm giving!

UltiMATE jugador

English-US (New Jersey)
    I'm currently (as of 2018) working at a Catholic school in Madrid, and all the teachers here (native Spanish teachers) call it "blútac" in Spanish regardless of the brand. Not sure if it was this way 10 years ago when this post was first posted though...

< Previous | Next >