bluebottle

semmsk

russia
Hello,
If a person is nicknamed Bluebottle (the name is Bel'Ablil), what can be meant by that? I've looked it up in the dictionary and it seems the word has several meanings, like, a flower, a fly and even a cop, which is the prevalent?

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hello,
    If a person is nicknamed Bluebottle (the name is Bel'Ablil), what can be meant by that? I've looked it up in the dictionary and it seems the word has several meanings, like, a flower, a fly and even a cop, which is the prevalent?
    Here in Canada, a "Bluebottle" would definitely be the fly. In fact, I've never heard of the word in any other context. They are a large fly with a shiny blue body and they seem to be meat-eaters, taking bites from horses, cows, etc.

mgarizona

US - American English
    I too have only ever heard bluebottle in reference to the fly, which has the lovely taxonomic designation of Musca vomitoria.

But I checked the OED and the original meaning is a blue flower (especially the corn-flower) and the use of it to apply to a person dressed in blue (especially uniformed in blue) goes back to Shakespeare 2 Henry IV.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    In Australia there is only one meaning for bluebottle and it conjures images of extreme pain.
    A bluebottle is a small sea creature that floats on the surface using a translucent membrane inflated with gas and shaped like a sail. They float on the surface of the water in vast colonies and are at the mercy of the winds. It is thought that there are two different types with the only difference being a reversal of sail shape so that half of a new spawning tacks in the opposite direction of the other half of the colony.
    Bluebottles look quite pretty and their sails glint and sparkle in the bright sun but a painful secret trails beneath every bluebottle and every Aussie is fully aware of the secret.
    Most Aussies have been stung once and most are never stung again. Huge hairy blokes will run screaming from the surf on their first encounter and vow to never again confront the dreaded stingers of the bluebottle.
    Bluebottles feed by trapping small creatures in their long trailing deep blue coloured stingers. The stingers are harmless looking threads that can be metres long and look like blue cotton strands but they contain a stupifyingly painful nerve toxin that is extremely dangerous and potentially life threatening to young children.

I think that bluebottle may be using the nickname to say that they are pretty but are dangerous to cross and also that they may trap the unwary.

mgarizona

US - American English
    Hello,
    Have you considered that they might have simply been playing with the unpronouncability of Bel'Ablil in Scottish mouths? The way Quentin Tarantino corrupted Au revoir, les enfants into Resevoir Dogs?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    HERE is my bluebottle.

HERE is .,,'s bluebottle - known to me as a Portugese Man o'War.

HERE is a fly-fisher's bluebottle.

HERE is the telegoons bluebottle.

HERE is a Bristolian's bluebottle.

HERE is a botanist's bluebottle.

HERE is a Londoner's bluebottle (sorry, black-and-white-bottle).

Beelzebub, the devil, the Lord of the Flies, is often presented in the form of a bluebottle, or represented by bluebottles.

renegade angel

English, Australia
    In Australia there is only one meaning for bluebottle and it conjures images of extreme pain.
    A bluebottle is a small sea creature that floats on the surface using a translucent membrane inflated with gas and shaped like a sail. They float on the surface of the water in vast colonies and are at the mercy of the winds. It is thought that there are two different types with the only difference being a reversal of sail shape so that half of a new spawning tacks in the opposite direction of the other half of the colony.
    Bluebottles look quite pretty and their sails glint and sparkle in the bright sun but a painful secret trails beneath every bluebottle and every Aussie is fully aware of the secret.
    Most Aussies have been stung once and most are never stung again. Huge hairy blokes will run screaming from the surf on their first encounter and vow to never again confront the dreaded stingers of the bluebottle.
    Bluebottles feed by trapping small creatures in their long trailing deep blue coloured stingers. The stingers are harmless looking threads that can be metres long and look like blue cotton strands but they contain a stupifyingly painful nerve toxin that is extremely dangerous and potentially life threatening to young children.

I think that bluebottle may be using the nickname to say that they are pretty but are dangerous to cross and also that they may trap the unwary.

yep that's right. if you jump on them (with shoes on) they go pop! they really really hurt but aren't life threatening at all.

< Previous | Next >