blurred and overlapping lines

btonasse

Portuguese - Brazil
Greetings, fellow language enthusiasts.

I'm currently translating a text and can't get my head around this particular phrase. Here's the whole sentence:

"The dark humor that has flourished in these forums, with their blurred and overlapping lines, sanitizes ideas of a race war and genocide, featuring pitched battles between racial identities."

What are these "blurred and overlapping lines"? I have the impression "lines" here refer to "jokes", but even then I don't know what to make of it.

Also, to "sanitize an idea" in this case would be to "normalize" it, right?

Thank you very much in advance.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The "blurred and overlapping lines" belong to the "forums". I don't know what it means. Why do they use plural "forums"?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    What are these "blurred and overlapping lines"? I have the impression "lines" here refer to "jokes", but even then I don't know what to make of it.
    It does not refer to jokes.
    Also, to "sanitize an idea" in this case would be to "normalize" it, right?
    No.

If you have a reference to the source and a little context, I'm sure we will be able to help.

btonasse

Portuguese - Brazil
    Hi, Paul. Unfortunately the article hasn't been published yet afaik, but here's the title and its summary:

How White Nationalism Became Normal Online
    The path for radicalization for many young men has particular roots in the online communities in which they have forged their identities.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I can't be sure without more information, but my feeling is that "lines" means boundaries between the forums. To describe them as blurred and overlapping suggests that there is no clear demarcation between them.

btonasse

Portuguese - Brazil
    I can't be sure without more information, but my feeling is that "lines" means boundaries between the forums. To describe them as blurred and overlapping suggests that there is no clear demarcation between them.
    Basically the parapgraph is saying that white supremacism was up until recently confined to marginal radio shows and fringe publishing houses, but has found in online forums (gaming forums, alt right websites etc) a very fertile ground to spread its ideas.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Hi, Paul. Unfortunately the article hasn't been published yet afaik, but here's the title and its summary:

How White Nationalism Became Normal Online
    Video: How White Nationalism Became Normal Online
    These forums describes far-right forums.
    lines = lines in the sense of the boundaries of their categories; subjects; purposes
    their blurred and overlapping lines = subjects that are not clearly separated; subjects that often run into each other or are common to all or some.
    sanitize -> to remove that which appears objectionable and to make wholesome or acceptable by the use of euphemism, detachment from emotion, presentation as reasonable, etc.

btonasse

Portuguese - Brazil
    Maybe it is referring to the fact that
    Video: How White Nationalism Became Normal Online
    These forums describes far-right forums.
    lines = lines in the sense of the boundaries of their categories; subjects; purposes
    their blurred and overlapping lines = subjects that are not clearly separated; subjects that often run into each other or are common to all or some.
    sanitize -> to remove that which appears objectionable and to make wholesome or acceptable by the use of euphemism, detachment from emotion, presentation as reasonable, etc.
    Oh it was published after all. Thank you very much!

< Previous | Next >