blush or flush

Max_Hinton123

Ukrainian language
Is there any difference between these words? Which one is more commonly used?
Joan blushed at the unexpected compliment.
Joan flushed at the unexpected compliment.
Do these sentences have the same meaning? Need your help :)

• heypresto

English - England
    I don't think there is any real difference.

Personally, I would use 'blushed' in your sentence, but it's just a preference - there's no reason not to use 'flushed'.

ewie

English English
    I think most people would use blush rather than flush these days. The unfortunate thing about flush is that it's what you do to toilets ~ and what toilets themselves do ~ after they've been used. This can lead to unfortunate and/or comical ambiguities:

Anna was sitting reading a novel one afternoon. When the doorbell rang she thought it was probably her lovely neighbour Jonny. She flushed and went to answer the door.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I prefer 'blush' in the OP sentence because that's the one used in this particular context, especially with a woman involved. It's a collocation. 'Flush' is similarly associated with anger, or a face that's red from exertion or heat.
    There are very few words, if any, that are synonyms, with exactly the same meaning and interchangable use regardless of context and register.

I prefer 'blush' in the OP sentence because that's the one used in this particular context, especially with a woman involved. It's a collocation. 'Flush' is similarly associated with anger, or a face that's red from exertion or heat.
    There are very few words, if any, that are synonyms, with exactly the same meaning and interchangable use regardless of context and register.
    I agree.

< Previous | Next >