Boarder/Lodger/Guest?

sambistapt

Brazilian Portuguese
Hello amigos!:)

My mother used to have boarders/lodgers/guests to make an extra money and she used to rent two rooms of our house for this purpose.

What´s the main difference among these nouns? boarder used for students, lodgers used for passing by travellers and guests used for relatives or friends?

Thanks,

Sam:cool:

• Matching Mole

England, English
    From a British perspective I would say this:

I think "guest" is something of a euphemism (it sounds nicer than the others). A small hotel or pension is often called a guest house, however, so I suppose it implies a paid short term stay. Of course, this does not preclude the word from being used to refer to a family member of friend staying for a few days or weeks.

In this context boarder would be understood not to refer to school children, but nevertheless, generally that is what it means. Again, guest houses are sometimes called boarding houses, but I think this may now be old-fashioned. The term of stay is likely to be longer than a guest.

A lodger is someone who usually stays in ones house. The house is not usually changed in any way to accomodate a lodger. For example, the lodger may behave as a member of the family. Lodgers are often long term, they may stay for years or even for life.

vicky1027

usa english
    My interpretation is that boarders are people who rent rooms, by the month, for long periods of time. It's similar to renters, but they're just renting a room (not an apartment).

Guests are the same, but for a much shorter period of time (usually a vacation 1-2 weeks).

Lodgers...I don't really hear that used, it sounds like something they would use in the Western US (like a dude ranch) to describe lodging for vacationers (guests).

But there are probably many different opinions out there!

Elwintee

England English
    My interpretation is that boarders are people who rent rooms, by the month, for long periods of time. It's similar to renters, but they're just renting a room (not an apartment).

Guests are the same, but for a much shorter period of time (usually a vacation 1-2 weeks).

Lodgers...I don't really hear that used, it sounds like something they would use in the Western US (like a dude ranch) to describe lodging for vacationers (guests).

But there are probably many different opinions out there!
    In my version of BE 'guests' are family or friends, while 'paying guests' is a euphemistic term for lodgers.

< Previous | Next >