boat load of big dreams coming true

Redfield

UK
Spanish-Chile
Hello.

I wonder if in this sentence for a birthday card is OK to use "that come" instead of "coming".

For you on your birthday, I wish you a lifetime of happiness, a tiny amount of worries, and a boat load of big dreams coming true.

• manfy

German - Austria
    I wonder if in this sentence for a birthday card is OK to use "that come" instead of "coming".
    No, it doesn't work well for me. It changes the connotation in a significant way.

A boatload of dreams coming true = a boatload of fulfilled dreams/expectations
    A boatload of dreams that come true => this puts the emphasis on a boatload of dreams (it suggests that you don't have any dreams now) and the secondary information is that you hope they're also coming true.

I'm probably exaggerating but yet, your original version with "dreams coming true" is better.

[cross-posted]

Paul, your really think that "that come true" is better?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Yes. "A boatload of dreams coming true" gives me the image of a boat load of dreams approaching the shore where you stand and you can see, on board, dreams coming true. (Which is a strange image.)

Whereas "that come true" implies that you have received/will receive lots of dreams and they come true (in your presence).

Last edited:

manfy

German - Austria
    :thumbsup: Fair enough, good explanation.
    I still prefer 'dreams coming true', but I'm a non-native speaker and my language feel is certainly not as refined as yours.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Yes. "A boatload of dreams coming true" give me the image of a boat load of dreams approaching the shore where you stand and you can see, on board, dreams coming true. (Which is a strange image.)

Whereas "that come true" implies that you have received/will receive lots of dreams and they come true (in your presence).
    I'd say "that you have/will have lots of dreams..."

manfy

German - Austria
    I'd say "that you have/will have lots of dreams..."
    Hmm, now, wishing that somebody will have dreams is a really strange concept to me. I would think that everybody at the age of let's say 20 is automatically full of dreams. The only problem is pursuing them or making/having them come true - and that latter part is the part worth wishing for?!

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Yes, but "that you have/will have lots of dreams..."
    (a) that come true
    (b) coming true? :D
    a) that come true, for me.

Hmm, now, wishing that somebody will have dreams is a really strange concept to me. I would think that everybody at the age of let's say 20 is automatically full of dreams. The only problem is pursuing them or making/having them come true - and that latter part is the part worth wishing for?!
    But one can have dreams (different ones) at any age...

lingobingo

English - England
    As a notional list, it reads better as it is, in my view:

I wish you a lifetime [that consists] of ……
    1. happiness,
    2. a tiny amount of worries,
    3. a boat load of big dreams coming true.

< Previous | Next >