Boat Scoop [The Black Prism: Brent Weeks]

Lilithniahm

italiano
Good morning.
A wizard is on a boat and wants to cross the sea as fast as possible. The boat has been created by himself by via of magic and it is made of coloured light. To travel faster, he uses air like a piston through a cylinder, (if I don't get wrong). In this case, the cylinder is a reed.

When he was a child, shooting seeds through a reed at his brothers, he had discovered that air could shoot seeds with much greater force than your hands. After a lot of trial and error, he’d put the whole reed in the water, opening it at both ends so it traveled fully underwater, then he attached another reed diagonally and shot plugs of magic down into the water and then out the back of the reeds.

Earlier, however, it says that he creates "magic scoops" into the water. I looked up "scoop" in the dictionary and it is a sort of bucket used to dip water out of a boat. But why would he have to put scoops into the water? What does it have to do with the piston-cylinder apparatus? Is "scoop" just another name for "reed", "hoose"? Worse still, the book doesn't say anything about scoops. They're only mentioned twice: "He created the magic scoops into the water". And: "The scoops of magic were given flexibility throughout with green" (each colour gives a particular characteristic, so green gives flexibility).
It's a bit complicated, I know. I hope to have been sufficiently clear.
Thank you for your help

• Lilithniahm

italiano
    Thanks you so much for your intervention.
    But what is their function in this piston contraption? What are they for? Maybe it's a sort of paddle boat, where the paddles are turned by the pistons?

Lilithniahm

italiano
    Well, the term piston was my deduction, based on the description of this machine. Actually, I'm not even sure that I understood how it this machine works :(

Andygc

British English
    Well, the term piston was my deduction, based on the description of this machine. Actually, I'm not even sure that I understood how it this machine works :(
    You've already said - it works by magic.

A scoop can be fixed to the hull of the boat to draw water in. That's an essential part of the propulsion system of a jetski - scoop water in, blow it out of the back. I suppose that if you knew nothing about physics and hydrocarbon chemistry you'd think a jetski was a magical device.

ewie

English English
    Are you translating this or just reading it, Lilith? If you're reading it, why not just pass over it and take it as read that the contraption works somehow or other? If you're translating it, why not just translate it word for word? ~ this is, after all, a magic contraption so the reader doesn't need to know the precise engineering behind it ...

Lilithniahm

italiano
    I'm translating it, Ewie. Good advice! Normally, I think you can't translate without understanding what something is about. In this case, however, I believe I should do as you suggest. There's no way I'm going to understand all of it :(

Andygc: Thanks a million. I still don't know how scoops and reeds work together here, but it will suffice. I still have 500 pages to translate, so I'd better move on. It's irritating, though :/

Myridon

English - US
    I have read The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (please cite your source every time). As I recall, he converts the boat between three different forms of propulsion. The scoops (paddles) and the tubes (jet tubes) were not being used at the same time.

Lilithniahm

italiano
    You're partly right, Myridon; first he uses simple oars, then he creates scoops and reeds (what you call paddle and tubes), and last, apparently, they fly, but I still have to get there. If only I knew what scoops are for :(

< Previous | Next >