Bob Barker treatment

zhg

Chinese
Shrek: What do you recommend we should do with him?
Donkey: I say we take the sword and neuter him right here. Give him the Bob Barker treatment.
(Source: Shrek2)

What's the Bob Barker Treatment? A gift from Bob Barker? I googled Bob Barker .He seems to be a supporter of animal rights, from which I guess maybe the Bob Barker Treatment could refer to a animal welfare?

• Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    Bob Barker used to be the host of a U.S. game show called "The Price Is Right" (now hosted by actor/comedian Drew Carey). Barker always closed the show by saying "always spay or neuter your pets" (or something similar).

zhg

Chinese
    Oh...now I see, by the way, don't you think it's a cruelty of neutering your pets? I was misled by wiki saying he's a supporter of animal rights.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    I'm trying to think of a way to say this without it sounding like "chatting," which is specifically prohibited under forum rules. So let me just say that the idea is that it is considered a cruelty to produce a lot of unwanted puppies and kittens because they might have to then be destroyed. The most effective way to do this, according to Barker and millions of others, is to spay or neuter your pets so they don't reproduce.

Edit: And if you want to know the difference between "animal rights" and "animal welfare," you need to start another thread. :)

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    Oh...now I see, by the way, don't you think it's a cruelty of neutering your pets? I was misled by wiki saying he's a supporter of animal rights.
    It's not cruel. Many actually see it as a "good" thing for animals. Sadly too many people let their pets (or strays) over-breed. This leads to more strays and more "pets" that are possibly neglected.

Bob Barker is a huge supporter of animal rights, you are correct. He says it to actually help their well-being. :)

Cross-posted with Kate. ;)

Copyright

American English
    Thanks to the last two posts, we've adequately covered the cruelty issue in this thread. Let's just leave it there. :)

< Previous | Next >