Bob is your uncle

Charwalk

Suppose you are in your late 70s. Suppose further that your teenager grandson is explaining to you some features of a smartphone. "Do this, do this and Bob is your uncle!" Would you take umbrage at the use of the phrase?

• Barque

Tamil
    "Dated" in this context means that it's old-fashioned and not used much nowadays.

Dated (WR dictionary): out-of-date; old-fashioned; no longer up to date: Some slang terms become dated quickly.

heypresto

English - England
    It's far more likely that the grandfather would say 'Bob's your uncle' to his grandson. And his grandson to wonder what on earth grandpa was talking about. :D

Note it's always 'Bob's . . .', and never 'Bob is . . . '

(In my younger days, Bob was my uncle :))

You little ripper!

Australian English
    It's alive and kicking in Australia. Young and old know the expression and use it. Sometimes you'll even hear a child use it (they've heard it and will repeat it - as children do - because they think it's amusing).

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Is it ever said as "Bob is your uncle" as in the title, or is it always "Bob's your uncle"? I've only seen "Bob's".

This expression isn't used in AE, but I understand it. The first time I heard it, I probably felt like the dwarf in a Terry Pratchett novel, who hears a human say "and Bob's your uncle!" and replies "But, surely Thor Stronginthearm is my uncle?"

< Previous | Next >