Body politic or corporate

< Previous | Next >

Betza

Spanish, Peru
Hi, I have this section in an Agreement and I would like to know how to translate into Spanish "body politic or coporate". Thanks.

Singular, plural:
Whenever the singular or masculine or neuter is used in this Agreement, the same shall be construed as meaning plural or feminine or body politic or corporate or vice versa, as the context so requires.

• Betza

Spanish, Peru
    It comes from British Columbia, but I found some grammar errors along the source document. Thank you.

Joe Esquire

Spanish Spain- English US
    Excuse the long explanation, but without it, the translation may not be obvious.
    “Body Politic” generally refers to a government entity or subdivision, such as a municipality, or a specially created entity such as an Airport Authority.
    “Body Corporate” is a broad definition for non-natural legal person, such as a corporation.

Ocassionally, a Body Politic entity takes corporate form (as opposed to an incorporated association, or a chartered entity), for example, the Union of British Columbia Municipalities, under the Incorporation Act. Another example is the City of Vancouver, organized both as a municipality and as a corporation.

The point being that because of this overlap, the interpretation clause referenced attempts to pre-empt ambiguity by being mutually inclusive of both categories. (It is a standard template clause in contracts even when the parties are not government entities)

Body Politic: entidad/organismo gubernamental
    Body Corporate: persona juridica

I trust this is useful.
    Regards,
    JE

Betza

Spanish, Peru
    OMG. Thank you very much for the great explanation, I had an idea, but I wasn't 100% sure. Now everything is clear. Thanks a lot again.

< Previous | Next >