Boil down to trust

< Previous | Next >

ShakespeareLass

Hebrew
Hello everyone

I encountered the idiom "Boil down to" in this context;
"It's all Boiled down to turst"

I have been trying to look it up the dictionary and understood that it's related with reducing something but still I don't make it out.
Could someone explain it to me please?

Thank you all

• akhooha

English - USA
    The WR dictionary is pretty easy to use. Type the word you want in that blank space at the top of the page, and click the magnifying glass icon.
    You can obtain worthwhile results as well with any dictionary.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    boil down vb (adverb)

1. to reduce or be reduced in quantity and usually altered in consistency by boiling
    2. boil down to ⇒ (intransitive) to be the essential element in something
    3. (transitive) to summarize; reduce to essentials

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/boil down

Last edited:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "It's all Boiled down to turst"

Do you have a source for this quote, SL?

It has a number of problems. "It all boils down to trust" is how we would normally say this.

The meaning is that trust is the key element in the situation or that when everything extraneous is eliminated (boiled off)' what's left that matters is trust.

[Cross-posted with everyone]

ShakespeareLass

Hebrew
    Sorry, I am really so sorry,but I have been looking the WD dictionary and still, I DON'T get it.
    I heard that on a TV show called "Daria."
    Help anyone? please?

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I suppose that two people were talking about something when one of them said this. Who was talking? What were they talking about? And who said this?

ShakespeareLass

Hebrew
    I don't remember the exact conversation, sorry. I wish I would.
    I will try to listen to this conversation over again and then to continue this question.
    Thank you anyway, I feel a little bit desperate over that now :(

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    It all boils down to trust would mean the essential element (of whatever they were talking about) is trust, ie. trust is the most important consideration (as regards whatever they were talking about on the Daria show).

I've always thought of the idiom as having been drawn from cookery - the more you reduce a stock, the more potent it becomes (as the water evaporates off as steam).

Jerail

English - Canadian
    They way I understand this expression, it means that at the end of the day, when all the other less meaningful factors have been dispelled, trust is the one element that is still left and is therefore the true central issue.

ShakespeareLass

Hebrew
    I think NOW i'm starting to get it. FINALLY!
    Is it the same meaning with any other word I could put in, at the end of the idiom?
    I mean if I'd try to bulid a new sentence with this idiom, I may be saying; "It all boils down to love" or "it all boils down to you", for example.
    Is it still saying that the prominent thing is love/you?
    would this explantion work in any other situation I may hear again/try use it myself - the same way?
    I hope you guys understand my question. I don't want to let this misundersanding go out of my mind as long as I am not sure I DID understand it.
    Sorry for asking that much, and thank you all, from the bottom of my heart :rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >