boil-in-the-bag

< Previous | Next >

x-yuri

Russian - Ukraine
Hi,

Where I heard the expression... in some anime I bet. But here it is on the internet. The title says:

Camping food, boil in the bag and freeze dried food for camping and expeditions​

I suppose this expression comes from tourist folks. Like, food that can be prepared easily, without much hassle. Which matters when you're in the mountains, in the woods, what have you. The question is probably more about etymology. Why in the bag? You can't possibly and don't normally cook right in the bag, don't you? Is there something bag means that I don't know? What do you say?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You can't possibly and don't normally cook right in the bag, don't you? Yes. It's not unusual at all. Many foods are sold sealed in bags (usually plastic bags): you then drop the bag into boiling water, and the food cooks. Then there is boil-in-the-bag rice - this has a porous bag and the rice cooks inside the bag.

Here's a boil in the bag meatballs and tomato sauce with pasta:

sdgraham

USA English
    Not only is food sold in plastic bags ready for boiling, but you can buy plastic bags for cooking whatever you wish to stuff into them, particularly when using a microwave oven for cooking. See HERE.

x-yuri

Russian - Ukraine
    Um, that was probably my bad. It didn't cross my mind that bag could refer to the container the food is in. I was thinking about some sort of backpack :)

< Previous | Next >