Boil-in-the-bag

< Previous | Next >

sbdhc

french
Hello, I have seen this in a sports context, that of bicycling magazine while analysing adjective compounds for my PhD. It reads:"To stop things getting too boil-in-the-bag, the rear of the Diablo is made of mesh fabric and there are darts of fluoro-green reflective fabric on the front and back to add a little low-light visibility". What does it actually mean? What is the metonymy underneath it? Many thanks in advance.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Boil-in-the-bag literally refers to meals that are sold in a sealed plastic bag, so that you can boil the combination of meat, potatoes, and vegetables in a single pot of water, and they're dry when you cut open the bag. I suspect things get very hot on a bicycle seat if you're travelling fast, so that's the image.

lingobingo

English - England
    I think mainly of rice being boil-in-the-bag. (Also kasha/roasted buckwheat, if you're lucky enough to find it!)

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Having read the other responses, I don't know if the mesh is to prevent the contents from overheating, or from appearing too mass-produced... I think the latter, because the green fluorescent panels aren't intended for cooling.

You might be surprised (horrified?) to discover how many "gourmet" restaurants actually serve factory-made, boil-in-the-bag dishes with just a sprig of fresh parsley to make them appear genuine.

< Previous | Next >