boil over (milk/soup)

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
Russian (Moscow)
What do you say in your language about food that was boiling unsupervised and boiled over the pot? Please provide literal translation.

Russian:
молоко убежало /moloko ubezhalo/ - lit. milk ran away
молоко cбежало /moloko sbezhalo/ - lit. milk escaped

• In Greek:

For the milk and the Turkish/Greek/Cypriot/Middle Eastern coffee we say it «φούσκωσε» ['fuskose] (3rd person aorist indicative of the verb «φουσκώνω» [fu'skono] --> to puff up, inflate) and it eventually «χύθηκε» ['çiθice] (3rd person aorist indicative of the verb «χύνω» ['çino] --> to pour, spill over)

ilocas2

Banned
    Czech
    Czech:

uteklo mléko (coll. mlíko) - milk escaped/ran away
    utekla polévka (coll. polívka) - soup escaped/ran away

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In French, we would use the verb "déborder", which we could also use for any liquid overflowing: water, river, and also milk.
    "Le lait a débordé": the milk has overflown

nimak

Macedonian
    Macedonian:

млекото претече (mlékoto préteče) lit. "the-milk overflowed";
    rarely млекото преври (mlékoto prévri) lit. "the-milk over-boiled".

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    In French, we would use the verb "déborder", which we could also use for any liquid overflowing: water, river, and also milk.
    "Le lait a débordé": the milk has overflown
    Salut, DearPrudence,

Peux-tu s'il te plaît confirmer que "déborder" communique l'idée de "bouillir"? (Je pense au proverbe "C'était la dernière goutte qui a fait déborder le vase.")

Merci (de la part d'un Anglophone)!

momai

Arabic - Syria
    Arabic:

الحليب فار / al-ħaleebu faara /
    Arabic faara (to boil over) is only used in the colloquial and is in my opinion an alteration of thaara (to erupt). There are many examples in Arabic where th/t and f alternate, for instance famm (mouth) which became thimm (and eventually timm in most Levantine dialects).

Armas

Finnish
    Finnish: kiehua yli "to boil over" or kiehua hellalle/liedelle "to boil onto the stove(top)".

Ghabi

AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod
    Cantonese
    Arabic faara (to boil over) is only used in the colloquial and is in my opinion an alteration of thaara (to erupt).
    As far as I know, faara and thaara are two different verbs. Both are used in fuS7a. But faara in fuS7a just means to boil, not boil over, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

Zareza

Romanian
    a da în foc (to boil over)= to give (itself) in fire

Laptele a dat în foc = The milk has given (itself) in fire.

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    Arabic faara (to boil over) is only used in the colloquial and is in my opinion an alteration of thaara (to erupt). There are many examples in Arabic where th/t and f alternate, for instance famm (mouth) which became thimm (and eventually timm in most Levantine dialects).
    Actually, it's Classical Arabic. It's even used in the Quran and you can find it in all classical dictionaries.

As far as I know, faara and thaara are two different verbs. Both are used in fuS7a. But faara in fuS7a just means to boil, not boil over, if I'm not mistaken.
    No, in fus7a it means to boil over. The Quran used it to refer to the Noah's flood since the water rose like a pot boiling over حَتَّىٰ إِذَا جَاءَ أَمْرُنَا وَفَارَ التَّنُّورُ قُلْنَا احْمِلْ فِيهَا مِنْ كُلٍّ زَوْجَيْنِ اثْنَيْنِ

Only boil is غلي يغلي غليانا

momai

Arabic - Syria
    Actually, it's Classical Arabic. It's even used in the Quran and you can find it in all classical dictionaries.
    Right, my mistake. I was somehow under the impression that faara is not fuS7a. Thanks for correcting me!

< Previous | Next >