Boil

< Previous | Next >

Wasana

Banned
French
I boil chickpeas.
I boil black eyed peas.
I boil green grams.
Can I use boil for cooking these seeds in hot water..(I make hot water and put seeds in the Pan and boil until it cooked)

• reno33

English - USA
    Yes, you can. However. I don't know what "grams" are. I assume they are "seeds" of some kind.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    You can say that, to indicate the method used, but it isn't advisable to boil chickpeas or black-eyed peas -- they do not soften, or the black-eyed peas might turn to mush. They need to be cooked gently (simmered) in boiling water (chickpeas can be cooked in a pressure cooker).

Uncle Jack

British English
    I don't know what "grams" are. I assume they are "seeds" of some kind.
    Pulses, and the word is used for a number of different beans, both whole and split. Green gram are mung beans, for example. However, I have never come across "grams" as a plural; it seems the usual usage is that "gram" is a plural, although I think it is also used as an uncountable noun.

However, you should be aware that "gram" is not common in BrE and may well be unknown in AmE, as reno's post implies.

Myridon

English - US
    may well be unknown in AmE
    I've never heard "gram" to mean mung beans before. The average American person will not know "pulses." It's used more in botany than cooking. (I probably learned it from British TV chefs like Nigella or Jaime Oliver.)

Packard

USA, English
    You can also describe how something is cooked by the past tense of the process verb.

• Boiled beef
    • Deep fried chicken
    • Sauteed onions
    • Baked potatoes
    • etc.

< Previous | Next >