Boiling

Dr.Appalayya

India;Telugu
If a carrot or meat has to be cooked softly, we put that in a utensil of water or spice liquid and boil it. What is that soft-cooking called?...boiling..cooking..smoking..what? Please help.

• sweetpotatoboy

English, UK (London)
    ... simmering?
    Simmering is when you turn the heat down after the water has started boiling.

You put cold water in the pan with the vegetables, for example. You bring the water to the boil and then turn the heat down and let it simmer (ie. cook on a low heat) until the food is cooked.

But the whole process would be called "boiling" the vegetables (or cooking them by boiling). You wouldn't say: "I simmered the vegetables".

Hakro

Finnish - Finland
    Simmering is when you turn the heat down after the water has started boiling.

You put cold water in the pan with the vegetables, for example. You bring the water to the boil and then turn the heat down and let it simmer (ie. cook on a low heat) until the food is cooked.

But the whole process would be called "boiling" the vegetables (or cooking them by boiling). You wouldn't say: "I simmered the vegetables".
    I know it, but I suggested "simmering" because Dr. Appalayya was looking for an expression for "cooking softly".

MissFit

I know it, but I suggested "simmering" because Dr. Appalayya was looking for an expression for "cooking softly".
    Actually, he said "soft-cooking." I think he meant cooking in water until the food is soft, rather than cooking in a gentle manner. (Correct me if I am wrong, Dr.) Recipes usually say "boil until tender" if it's over high heat, or "simmer until tender" if it's over low heat.

Hakro

Finnish - Finland
    Actually, he said "soft-cooking." I think he meant cooking in water until the food is soft, rather than cooking in a gentle manner. (Correct me if I am wrong, Dr.)
    Isn't it funny, somehow I read it "If a carrot or meat has to be cooked softly". Maybe I misunderstood.

< Previous | Next >