bold-faced/bald-faced, boldface / bald-face

(sic)

spanish, spain
Hello again guys!

This is another word I cannot find the meaning anywhere and I cannot either guess the meaning, so please... could you help me??'

The complete sentence is "But every smile hides a bold-faced lie"

Thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Laurita.

Canada - English
    I think what you are asking to translate is actually "bald faced lie"

from the "Yahoo" English-Spanish Dictionary:

bald-faced adj.
    descarado, desvergonzado

cirrus

UK English
    I suspect in the UK we are more likely to say bald faced but what I notice is that increasingly people in London and the south are starting to change the way they pronounce the word bald so that it sounds more bold. Does anyone else notice this happening?

Binario

USA
    Russia, Russian
    Creo que estas equivocado. Es "boldface", no "bald", y significa las letras imprimidos, del tipo "negrito" (mas anchas como estos )

Tawañawi

Spanish - Traditional
    I hope this is helpful although the question was posted months ago. I just found out that bald faced (when it refers to horses) is a black/white or brown/white pony with a white face.

jomarx

spanish
    I hope this is helpful although the question was posted months ago. I just found out that bald faced (when it refers to horses) is a black/white or brown/white pony with a white face.
    ok but I found that hte meanig is : making no attempt to hide your dishonest behavior. "bald faced lies"
    well I think that is ok :)

Gorrión

USA, English
    Es verdad: bald-faced indica "making no attempt to hide dishonest behavior" o sea tal vez "sin verguenza" o "obvio". Usualmente se lo oye con "bald-faced lies" o "He's a bald-faced liar"; no puedo acordarme de otro uso.

< Previous | Next >